Monday, September 3, 2012

Highpoint #2: Maryland

Maryland's Highpoint:  "Hoye-Crest"


The highpoint in Maryland actually requires a little bit more effort to reach than simply driving up to it like in West Virginia or walking up a hill in a park like Washington, D.C.  Indeed, to reach the highpoint in Maryland, a good 20 minute hike (each way) is involved up a steep trail.  It is not particularly difficult, but it is definitely not as straightforward as stepping out of a car.  Seriously though, the most difficult part about this highpoint for me was actually finding the route.

Road Sign Indicating Path

Yes, if I can find a “wrong” way to do something, I usually will.  Finding the turnoff from the highway for the hiking route was pretty easy.  In fact, there is a pretty large road sign proclaiming “Maryland High Point” with an arrow pointing to the trail.  One can simply park beside the sign in a pull-off strip of the road.  Alternatively, one can proceed to the other side of the road and drive up the JEEP trail to a higher landing which has a parking area. 

Do NOT follow these blazes!
 
My mistake was in parking across the street and just following the red and blue blazes when I reached the other side.  Do not do this!  There is no trail to follow if you do, simply the blazes.  The blazes continue on and on, one hill after the next.  If you pursue them diligently, believing they mark the way to the highpoint, you will arrive at a JEEP on someone’s private property.  What in the world?  I had the opportunity to speak with the property owner, who was actually pretty friendly and let me know where I went wrong.  Apparently, the blazes I was following marked different property lines that were set by a private developer.  To get to the actual highpoint, I needed to proceed down the private road from the property, walk up the main highway (to where I parked), walk up to that higher landing on the JEEP trail, and start my hike from there.  Basically, start all over.  Ugh. 



Rock Cairn Marking the Path
Final Sign Pointing to the Summit

Trail and Red "HP" Blaze

I eventually made it back to my car, and I decided to just drive it up to that higher landing and start anew.  My car sets low, but I still managed to make it to the top of the drivable section without bottoming out.  The road is surprisingly passable in favorable weather conditions.  This put me in a prime position to begin my hike.  The trail to the top is also marked with red blazes, which is a little confusing.  There are other indications along the way as well including rock cairns, red “HP” blazes on some of the trees, trail signs, and a plaque at the summit.  Really, one can’t possibly mess this up, provided they start their adventure here and not below.  So it goes. 


Detail of the Summit Sign
Vanity Shot in front of Sign



Walking to the top was a great deal of fun.  I was kind of in a hurry after all of the lost time from my errant hike, so it was a vigorous push.  The detailed signage was very reassuring, and, soon enough, I saw the final sign pointing to “Backbone Mtn MD Highpoint”.  Walking over to the true summit, I was met with a huge rock cairn and a very large posted sign indicating that “Hoye-Crest” was the true highpoint of Maryland coming in at 3360 feet.

Honorary Certificate

The view is somewhat blocked from the summit, so it is not the most scenic of highpoints.  However, it is a fun one to get to.  Be sure not to miss the mailbox next to the cairn.  I nearly did.  Inside, there is a sign-in book and a bag of certificates.  Yes, you can claim a certificate for making it to the top – not a bad deal!  The only drawback is that the position of the sign makes it nearly impossible to take a photo of oneself in front of the sign.  That took a few practice shots just to get a passable photo.  Oh well.  Not a big deal.  I am just glad I did not miss out on making it to the highpoint all together.  


View from the Summit



No comments:

Post a Comment