Friday, January 3, 2014

Highpoint #30: Indiana

Summit Rock for Indiana's Highest Point!

I was able to finish up pretty quickly at the highpoint in Ohio, and I continued straight on to the highpoint in Indiana.  The good news was that the Indiana highpoint is located just across the border with Ohio, making it relatively close by.  The bad news was that the sun was due to set at 5:15pm and my estimated arrival time was the same exact time.  This was going to be a race against the sun. 

Now, technically, the Ohio and Indiana highpoints are only a mere 78 miles apart, but it does take some time to travel the distance due to the series of rural roads that must be negotiated.  In fact, the theme is that the roads become progressively more rural until they culminate in a farm lane just short of Hoosier Hill.  Yes, the highpoint of Indiana is, once again, another “hill”.  So no spectacular mountain climbing at all was in store, rather this was going to be an easy drive-up instead. 

 The turn-off for the highpoint was not signed from the farm lane, but I was able to deduce where it lied, since the Google Maps directions were so accurate.  There was a small area to pull into next to what I presume was a cornfield earlier in the year.  A sign was there proclaiming the area to be Hoosier Hill, “Indiana’s Highest Point” with an elevation of 1,257 feet.

The Highest Point in Indiana!
Walking from the car, it could not have been more than 30 feet before the path turned right into the adjacent woods.  At the turn, the true highpoint was immediately visible in the distance.  Another 30 feet, and I was there.  It was that easy, making for a nice counterbalance to some of the more difficult highpoints I have climbed in the past, like Mt. Hood, say. 

View of the Summit

At the highpoint, there was a Highpointer’s mailbox with a summit register tucked inside.  I dutifully signed my name and noted that this was my 30th highpoint – yay! 

Vanity Shot at the Summit Register

Also, in the mailbox, there were souvenir postcards with photos of the site and, strangely enough, driving directions to the highpoint.  Presumably one would have figured out that part by this point. 

Souvenir Postcard:  Face
















Souvenir Postcard:  Reverse

There was also a summit rock that was engraved with the elevation and exact latitude and longitude coordinates.  Sadly, even though the sun did not quite yet set by this point, the wooded area made for a much darker space, compromising the quality of some of my photos.  I even had to use the flash.  Oh, well.  Additionally, there was a picnic table, so one could have a longer respite here on a warmer day. 


Vanity Shot Atop Summit Rock
Stepping out from the wooded area, I was able to get a pretty good view from the highest point of Indiana.  I guess I should get bonus points for catching the sun just as it was disappearing from the horizon.  I could not have timed this closer!   


View from the Top:  The Sun Kissing Indiana Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment