Saturday, July 12, 2014

Highpoint #34: Illinois

The Highest Point in Illinois!


Illinois is, surprisingly, one of the more difficult highpoints to visit in the U.S.  Mind you, it is no mountaineering challenge; however, there is a challenge of accessibility.  The problem is that the highpoint is located on a private farm in northwestern Illinois.  The owners do not allow visitors year-round either, like ALL of the other privately held highpoints.  In fact, they have several rules about how and when to access their plot of land. 

First and foremost, there are only 8 allowable days per year when one can legally visit:  the first full weekends of June, July, August, and September – so winter ascents are not legally possible.  Moreover, visits must occur during daylight hours.  Also, holiday weekends are not treated differently.  So if you arrive on July 4th, a Friday this year, you will have to wait until the next day to summit.  There are still more rules.  You cannot bring pets, and you must not drive up their lane, which means you will be in for a 2 mile hike round-trip instead of simply driving to the summit.  There is no fee for visiting, but the owners do collect mugs, hint hint. 

So, given these rules, I spent the night of July 3rd in Freeport, Illinois, which is the closest large town to the highpoint, at least coming from the east as I did.  I set out first thing in the morning, mugless, determined to make an early summit.  Instead, I was in for a series of unexpected challenges.  First, there was the road closure.  Sure enough, as I was working my way through increasingly rural roadways, I found that the one that was supposed to take me into Scales Mound, Illinois was unambiguously closed.  

This is Problematic
I was able to take the turnoff just prior to the road closure, and I followed a few unpaved, heavily graveled roads that eventually allowed me to navigate around the section that was closed.  Not too bad.  Then, believe it or not, a black cat crossed my path.  Does that really happen?  Whatever. 

In the Ellipse it Says:  "At the Top in Illinois"

I finally saw the sign for Scales Mound assuring me that the highpoint was indeed near now.  Then, yet another black cat crossed my path.  What the hell?  I am not superstitious, but even I have to pause for a second after not one, but two black cats cross my path.  I then get down to a narrow tunnel, which I first mistook for a dead end.  I got out of my car to size it up.  The roadway passing through the tunnel was flooded, but it looked passable by car since the current was not swift.  I gave it go, and made it through. 

Getting Rural Now

Very shortly after, I found myself at the gate for the highpoint.  There were already two cars there in front of it, so I had to park on the side of the road (more on that below).  There was a sign next to the gate indicating to park there and continue on foot. 

End of the Driving Portion

I greeted a trio of folks who were on their way out, and proceeded along the farm lane.  It was pretty well groomed making for a trivial hike.  

Meandering Farm Lane

More Farm Lane




















I followed the turns and slowly made my way up hill.  I greeted another couple also on their way out.  Curiously enough, I reached a barn along the way with a sign near it saying for highpointers to park there and continue on by foot.  

No Longer a Viable Parking Space for Whatever Reason

So, I guess, the owners have become even less accommodating over the years.  I was clearly enjoying none of this nonsense.  Alas, I was one hill away from the summit, so I pushed onward. 

Crux of the Climb

I quickly came upon the U.S.G.S. boundary marker indicating the true summit (note the triangle).  

Detail of Boundary Marker (True Summit)


Vanity Shot at Boundary Marker




















Just beyond there was a large professionally made sign indicating that Charles Mound is the highest point in Illinois along with a message about Jesus.

Summit Sign

For all of the standoffishness, the land at the top was pretty well manicured, and the setting was actually relaxing. 

Viewing Chairs, with Summit Register in Between

Just beyond there were two chairs set up to better take in the view from the top.  Between the two chairs lied the official summit register.  Sure enough, the first page was a sternly worded warning about trespassing.  I was feeling the love. 

Final Warning

I signed the register, and then found two additional USGS directional markers, which point to the USGS boundary marker.  My trifecta was complete. 

Directional Marker #1

Directional Marker #2





















That was it for the events up top.  I leisurely walked downhill, working my way back to my car.  Would you believe in the 40 minutes that I was gone, that a note was left on my car?  

Legal Paper Makes for a Nice Touch

The MIDDLE of the Road!





































I was scolded for parking in the “middle” of the road.  I was advised to park in the driveway or a ditch, yes ditch.  When I arrived back, my car was the only one there, but when I parked the car there were two other cars there, blocking the gate.  I did not park in the middle of the road, and I have a photo as proof (see above).  Also, I do not understand the wisdom of parking in a ditch.  A ditch is something a car is usually rescued from.  Besides, there were no ditches.  This was just a rural farm lane in the middle of nowhere which apparently sees a lot of legal-pad-carrying traffic at 8am on Saturdays on holiday weekends.  Accessible only 8 days a year, and there are still problems.  I am glad the note was left.  I am sure my Virginia license plates raised the fear that I might regularly drive out to Illinois and park in the middle of that particular farm lane, lest I be told to do otherwise.  Is everyone an asshole in Scales Mound?  Get me out of here! 


No comments:

Post a Comment