Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Highpoint #35: Nebraska

The Highest Point in Nebraska!


Departing Scales Mound, Illinois, I proceeded northwest and crossed the Mississippi river into Dubuque, Iowa.  The rural roads soon gave way to highways, and I was now in faster pursuit of my next target:  Nebraska.  Not too fast as it were though, as I negotiated a series of rainstorms until I made it to Des Moines.  Fortunately, it was sunny skies from there on out, and I was now on the interstate.  The miles fell away so quickly at this point, that I soon found myself passing into Nebraska by way of Omaha. 

I was in the right state, but on the wrong side of it.  The highpoint, known as Panorama Point is in southwestern Nebraska pretty much on the border with Wyoming and Colorado.  In fact, the tri-point marker, which marks where the three states intersect, is only a short walk away from the highpoint.  I dutifully pushed onward and made it all the way to North Platte (most of the way across) by dinnertime and decided to just keep going for it after a not so quick stop for a steak dinner.  The sun had set, and I was still on the road, but at least I was in Wyoming by this point -- very close.  I followed a series of rural farm lanes that must have brought me back into Nebraska, though there was no sign, and I soon found the turn off for Panorama Point. 

Now I very well could have continued on to the highpoint even though it was nighttime, but I thought it would be more sporting to summit in the morning at sunrise.  So I camped out for the night and enjoyed the ever-moving star field above me.

Trust Me, This is the Way to "Panorama Point"

I woke up in the morning and walked over to the sign for the turn-off.  The sign was a little confusing as it refers to “High Point Bison” instead of the name that I was expecting: “Panorama Point”.  The first sentence on the sign mentioned the highest point in Nebraska in passing, but it did not tie that point to this place.  Then, bizarrely, the rest of the sign went on to talk about bison.  It is a bison farm, so I guess the owner took the opportunity for a little self-promotion.  Okay.  Additionally, the sign indicated that there is a $3 fee for passage.  With a lock box and envelopes next to the sign, this was pretty much akin to visiting a state park.  Short of singles, I wrote a check and proceeded through the gate and, fittingly, crossed a cattle grate.  

The Entrance

I should additionally mention that sign had an added warning not allowing hiking or biking.  This is actually sensible since bison can charge without warning reaching speeds of 30 mph and attack with their horns, though that part was not mentioned in the sign’s tribute to bison. 

Definitely Getting Close Now

Proceeding down the farm lane, at the first turn there was a sign for Panorama Point, referring to it as the highest point in Nebraska.  Oh good, I was definitely in the right place.  I followed the turn and continued uphill.  Before long at all, I dead-ended at a trough of dirt with a stone marker, a stand, and a bench all lying just beyond.      

The Summit Area, Official Marker on Right

The stone marker was of course the official summit marker.  Strangely though, it was ensconced in a framework of aluminum tubes, which detracted from its impact, I think.  On the face of the marker, it indicated that this was the highest point in Nebraska and gave the elevation as 5,424’ – this farm was over a mile above sea level! 

Detail of Summit Marker

The stand next to the marker contained a drawer housing the official summit register as well as an assortment of items.  There was a sign proclaiming the name of the highpoint and its elevation, but the value for the elevation differed from that given on the marker.  Oops.  Also, there was a kite -- what a clever idea!  That certainly would have been a more interesting way to pass the time here.  Last but not least, there was free bug spray.  I never have an issue with bugs, but it certainly was a nice gesture to the would-be high pointers. 

Note the Kite; the Summit Register is Underneath the Sign

The bench was an official one provided by the Highpointers Club.  I have been seeing these at a number of the more accessible highpoints.  This particular one had a plaque on it giving some history of the place, which made for a nice touch. 

Highpointer's Bench
Detail of Bench Giving History


Then, finally, there was that trough of dirt.  After a little bit of reflection, I figured it was there to give the visitor something to stand upon.  It is something to climb for that definitive summit feel, and a great spot from which to take photos.  Being the break of dawn, the sun was just beginning to rise, so I started to click away from atop the mound. 

Summit Mound?


View from the Top!





































Knocking this highpoint out so early in the morning, I had no idea just how long my day was going to be as I left Nebraska heading north for my next highpoint in South Dakota…

The Parting View


No comments:

Post a Comment